In the previous post, we have outlined what fish cage is and how it is important for your aquaculture.
Yes, you can boost your aquaculture if you use fish cages right.
But like everything else, it also has pros and cons. You can’t just simply invest a big amount of money and wait for money back without doing anything more.
In this article, we are going to reveal the cons and pros of cage farming and provide a tutorial for the right people to decide.
Cage culture has many characters like flexibility, efficiency and high yield. Fish cage is easy to set up and the fish can grow up quickly. The fish cage is usually not large. When the water territory is not good for fish, people can quickly move to another area. By moving to another place, people can continue fish cultivation and avoid property loss by doing that. Most of time people do this because of terrible wind, heavy pollution or low water level. Generally, the net cages are set in larger water or in smaller quantities. There is only one fishnet between the inside and the outside. The culture environment is very close to true nature. The water flow can pass through the fishing net. The bait and metabolites can be discharged through the mesh. Thus, the dissolved oxygen and plankton inside the cage are very rich. It meets the needs of the stockings. It also provides the essence conditions for culture. Meanwhile, fish cage culture is the same as poultry cage farming. The livestock is restricted in a very small area. It limits energy consumption. The energy consumption decreases greatly, making livestock grow faster.
- It makes full use of natural bait and water. People can raise the silver carps and tilapia in the reservoirs, ponds, and lakes. With this pro, people can reduce commercial bait consumption.
- It can save land and labor to dig ponds. With one time investment, people can earn back all the investment after one year. Yet the cage can be used for five to six years at most time.
- Fish cages can be used in a wide range of water areas, such as lakes, rivers, reservoirs and other places. In this territory, no extra construction is required.
- Net cage culture provides superior water quality. Mostly the cage is installed in slight water areas. The dissolved oxygen in water can be maintained at more than 5 milligrams per liter. Fish excrement can be quickly discharged out of the cage. It ensures good water environment. Moreover, the fishes in the box are restricted in a certain small environment. Within that, there will be less heat loss for fishes. The growth rate of fish is faster and the feeding cycle is shorter. Culture fast and sell fast.
- Cage culture is flexible and convenient for management. In particular, the floating cage can be removed from unsuitable water to suitable water anytime. It can raise livestock nomadically. Therefore it is convenient for commercial fishes to sell on the market. Also, it is easy for the transportation and management of live fishes. During cultivation, people can monitor fish activities and growth at any time. And the fish disease can be healed in time as well.
- Cage culture can be controlled to reproduce. If tilapia is inhibited under high density, the gonadal is also easy to growth without a male.
- Although there might be many different species in the same cage, they can be combined and coexist. Meanwhile, management is still separated.
- Cage culture is like a storehouse in the water. For sales, it is more like a real life-list. Sell at your customers’ real-time demand!
2. The Cons
- cage culture is limited by many natural conditions. If the water level is too shallow or too volatile, it is not suitable for cage farming. Also, it has to keep enough dissolved oxygen in the water.
- The cage needs to be cleaned regularly. Net clothing should be washed frequently to remove the attachment. It can keep the mesh open by doing this. This ensures the smooth excretion out of the box.
- The feed may be lost through the broken net. So the net cage should be checked regularly. Preventing fishes from escaping is a daily task.
As we can see, the cons and pros for cage farming. You can’t just take the cons and ignore the pros. What do you think? Leave your comments!